In this article, you'll learn how to set up the integration and avoid any potential setup errors.
Before You Start
- Find the owner of your Google Play Developer account. You'll need their help (or access to the owner's account) to create an OAuth code. It is not possible to create a working OAuth code with a Google Play admin account.
- Make sure the Google account you'll be using for Google authentication in AppFollow has the Reply to Reviews permission for the app(s) you need to integrate.
- In your Google Play Developer Console, check that the Consent Screen is set up and your app's status is "In Production".
Looking for some visuals? Check out our video tutorial on what to check before setting up this integration: Google Play: Reply to Reviews Setup Checklist
Step 1: Create an OAuth Client in the Google Play Console
To get started, you'll need to create an OAuth client ID in the Google Cloud Platform Console.
You will need to log into the Google Play Developer Console using the owner's Google Developer account in order to get the Client ID and Client Secret required for the integration.
- To find the Client ID and Secret, open a new tab in your browser and log in to the Google Play Console.
- In the side menu, open Settings -> Developer account -> API access.
- In the OAuth Clients section, click "Create new OAuth client".
If this is your first time creating a client ID, click Consent Screen to configure your consent settings. You can learn how to configure the consent screen in this article by Google: User Consent. After you set up the consent screen once, you won't be required to configure it again.
To create a new OAuth client:
- Go to the Google Cloud Platform Console.
- Click "Create credentials" and select "OAuth Client ID" from the drop-down list.
- Select the "Desktop app" application type and fill in the name (required).
- Click "Create".
- Once the OAuth client is created, you'll get the Client ID and Client Secret in a popup window.
- Copy these credentials and proceed to the next section of this article.
Don't delete the OAuth client in Google Play Console. The integration will cease to work otherwise.
Step 2: Authenticate Your Google Account in AppFollow
- In your AppFollow account, open the “Integrations List” page from the left-hand navigation panel.
- Click "+Add New Integration" in the top right corner of the view.
- Choose an app and click “+Add Integration” on the Google Play Console card.
- In the pop-up window, switch to the Reviews & Replies tab. You’ll be asked to enter the Client ID and Client Secret from your Google Play Console. If you don't have these yet, check out the previous section of this article: Step 1: Create an OAuth Client in the Google Play Console
- Click "Next".
- To get the authorization code, click on "Get this code here".
- Sign in with your Google and allow the permissions for the app to view and manage your Google Play Developer account. Please use a Google account with the "View app information" and "Reply to reviews" permissions for the apps you want to integrate.
- Copy the code, go back to AppFollow and paste it into the "Enter code" field.
- Click "Add integration".
Check out the most common issues which might occur during the setup process in our guide to Troubleshooting Google Play Issues.